Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Caldecott Honor: CLICK, CLACK, Moo Cows that Type

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Betsy Lewin

2001 Caldecott Honor Book

I dearly LOVE this story, and love to share it with my kindergarten-age students.  It is a relatively simple story, set on a farm where Farmer Brown begins to receive demands from first his cows, then chickens and eventually the ducks!  This story is one that must be read aloud to get the full effect.  When my younger brother was little, I remember this being one of his most requested stories at bedtime.  Many nights, I would be working on my homework and through the wall would hear my mom reading this story to him.  I knew the story almost as well as he did, and would often go and sit on the bed with them for the reading.

The ending of the story leaves the tale wide-open for the next in the series, Click Clack QUACK where the ducks also go on strike.  It is a cute story as well, but I will always be a bigger fan of the original.  If this book was to be used in the classroom, it could open a discussion of how to "negotiate," as well as opening curiosity to many young students as to, "What is a typewriter?" 

Although this may not be the most academic book to read with young students, it is definately a fun one to read to an individual or to a group!

No comments:

Post a Comment