Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Caldecott Honor Book: Rosa

Rosa
by Nikki Giovanni, illustrated by Bryan Collier

2006 Caldecott Honor Book

The images in this work were very interesting--although they were not completely realistic-looking, they were drawn the way that I imagine life in the 1950s, with lots of earth-tone colors and straight lines.  The story within the pictures, of Rosa Parks and how she stood up for colored people by refusing to give up her seat on the bus in 1955, is a great one for students of all ages to read.  For young students, it would be a great way to introduce the topic of racial equality; for older students, it could be a springboard for debate on what Parks should have done.  Either way, this would be a great story to read when learning about Black History Month, as well as Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and birthday.  While working in kindergarten for the past 3 years, I have read many stories that attempt to bring racial inequality to life, and I must say that this story might be the best for that.  When young students read this, they will identify with the "mom" role of Parks; in the school that I currently work at, they will possibly identify with riding the bus.  However, I think that the message will affect them, and they will be able to understand what Parks went through.

I am reluctant to admit how unfamiliar I was with the story of Rosa Parks until reading this book.  Granted, I knew she lived during the civil rights movement, as well as that she was someone who stood up to racial injustice, and I might have remembered that a bus was involved in her story; however, after reading this book, I would like to read more about Parks and the life she lived, both before and after this life-changing event.  As I look at my multi-ethnic classroom and how all the children get along so well, it is hard to imagine living in a world where this would have not been possible.  Keeping that in mind, I would love to try and help them realize just how lucky they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment